Square of Saturn Spread
The Square of Saturn is based on the disposition of the
Elements and their Powers (or Qualities). The cards are
layed out in the order shown by the Arabic numerals; the
Roman numerals correspond to their numerical value in the
Square of Saturn (see
for more on it). Each card has a corresponding Element or Power (name
given in Latin and English) and divinatory significance (given in Latin
and English). The Elements correspond to aspects of the situation
(corresponding to Jung's four functions), the Powers to influences
acting upon it.
- siccus (dry): manens (staying) IV: what remains the
- terra (earth): sensus (sensation) III: appearances,
- frigidus (cold): iugens (joining) VIII: relating or
- aqua (water): motus (emotion) I: emotional issues.
- humidus (wet): mutans (changing) VI: what changes
of itself or changes something else.
- aer (air): intellectus (intellect) VII:
intellectual issues, arguments.
- calidus (hot): separans (separating) II: separative
or divisive influences.
- ignis (fire): intuitus (intuition) or voluntas
(will) VIIII: spiritual matters, courage.
- aether (aether, quintessence): summa (sum total) V:
the final outcome or overall assessment of the situation.
Return to Pythagorean Tarot homepage
Send comments about this page
Last updated: April 4, 2004